NPD and Mr O'Reilly
I have the best readers (truly flattery never hurts). Monkeypox, commenting on my earlier O'Reilly post, attempts to diagnose the Bill-meisters problem:
For a little insight into what might be eating Bill O'Reilly, let's turn to the American Psychiatric Association:
WHAT IS NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder)?
An all-pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration or adulation and lack of empathy, usually beginning by early adulthood and present in various contexts. Five (or more) of the following criteria must be met:
- Feels grandiosity and self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents to the point of lying, demands to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
- Is obsessed with fantasies of unlimited success, fame, fearsome power or omnipotence, unequalled brilliance.
- Firmly convinced that he or she is unique and, being special, can only be understood by, should only be treated by, or associate with, other special or unique, or high-status people (or institutions).
- Requires excessive admiration, adulation, attention and affirmation - or, failing that, wishes to be feared.
- Feels entitled. Expects unreasonable or special and favorable priority treatment. Demands automatic and full compliance with his or her expectations.
- Is "interpersonally exploitative", i.e., uses others to achieve his or her own ends.
- Devoid of empathy. Is unable or unwilling to identify with or acknowledge the feelings and needs of others.
- Constantly envious of others or believes that they feel the same about him or her.
- Arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes coupled with rage when frustrated, contradicted, or confronted.
The language in the criteria above is based on or summarized from:
American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, fourth edition (DSM IV). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
Sam Vaknin. (1999). Malignant Self Love - Narcissism Revisited, first edition. Prague and Skopje: Narcissus Publication. ("Malignant Self Love - Narcissism Revisited" http://www.geocities.com/vaksam/faq1.html )
Thanks MP! Sounds about right. In fact, I can think of a few other prominent people who might fit this mold.