Monday, July 19, 2004

The Prophet Dubya

Political Wire had this from our Dear Leader as their Quote of the Day for July 16th:

"I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn’t do my job."

-- President Bush, quoted in the Lancaster New Era, during a private meeting with an Amish group.

Though politics is the primary focus of this blog, I am also intensely interested in matters of faith. Indeed, the question of God and our relationship with him is of a much greater importance to me than who is or is not elected President. The main reason I don't talk about it here is that I am not an overtly religious person. I believe in keeping matters of faith on a private level.

God does not speak to me, but I know plenty of people who tell me that he does. I have no problem with that. I don't consider it "kooky" in the least. That God speaks to many people of faith is something I have little doubt about.

But George W. Bush is not claiming that God is speaking to him.

He is claiming that is God is speaking through him.

He is claiming that his voice is the voice of God. I don't know how to interpret that any other way.

Bush has gone well beyond the claim that God has chosen a destiny for him that includes leading this country through a time of trial. He is claiming that he is God's representative on Earth and that he speaks with the authority of God.

I'm not sure even the Popes make claims like that anymore.

How can any serious person of faith not feel uncomfortable with a President who claims to be the voice of God?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home