Tuesday, July 20, 2004

From the horses mouth

Greg Speed, the DCCC spokesperson who gave the "no comment" that started off last nights hullaballoo has a post up on the DCCC blog:

The Hill chose to run a "no comment" from me after I declined to respond to a question about a hypothetical scenario from an "anonymous Pennsylvania source." The reporter just as easily could have written nothing, but instead chose to run a "no comment." I was put on the spot, and rather than address something I knew nothing about, I declined to comment. In no way did I intend to undercut Ginny Schrader.

Here's a comment I posted in response to his post:

I think Greg made a mistake by not at least giving token support to Schrader's candidacy. As a press spokesman he should understand that saying "no comment" to a reporter is a blanket permission for them to put any spin on the story that they want to. I am glad that he has clarified this matter but he needs to do better in the future.

Keep up the good work.

Some are raking him over the coals. Others are expressing surprise at the anger his handling of this produced. I choose a middle-ground. He made a mistake. He has clarified the matter. But he really hasn't rectified the mistake and he needs to learn better for the future

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home