Monday, June 07, 2004

Regarding Reagan

I was busy this weekend, so I didn't have time to post extemporaneous thoughts on the death of Reagan. The blogosphere moves so fast that there isn't much left to be said that hasn't already been said.

On a personal level, I never had the distaste for Reagan that others had. I had to wait for Dubya to come along to have a politician in office that makes me cringe every time I hear him speak. Watching all the retrospectives over the weekend I had to marvel again at just how perfect Reagan was for the role. He epitomized the rough-n-tumble-gee-shucks image that so many Americans love to imagine about themselves. He was the perfect politician for the television age.

The fact that he sucked at the actual job of the Presidency just didn't matter.

The best thing that can be said about Reagan was said by Digby: "You were better than George W. Bush".

The most comprehensive take I've read so far is provide by William Rivers Pitt. Go read it. I've got to get back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home