Monday, June 28, 2004

A big green wall

I saw Fahrenheit 9/11 over the weekend. Far to many impressions to fit into one post. Like many others, there was little new information here for me since I have been following this stuff closely for years. But I could tell that many in the audience had never heard some of this stuff given the repeated gasps I heard.

There were a multitude of images that struck me, but one that I vividly remember was near the end when Lila Lipscomb went to Washington to visit the White House. The closest she could get was outside on the sidewalk. What struck me most about that scene, even more than the confrontation between Lila and the ditto-monkey, was the big green fence that blocked off the view of the White House from the outside world.

How many of us are used to images of the White House in movies and TV where you can see the full scale of that grand building? In George W. Bush's America, the only thing you can see now of "The People's House" is the roof and the anti-aircraft weaponry stationed there.

What a perfect metaphor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home