Thursday, December 18, 2008

Black and White

I won't listen to anti-semitics on the issue of Israel.

I won't listen to segregationists on the issue of affirmative action.

I won't listen to bigoted homophobes on the issue of gay marriage.

But I refuse to adopt the Manichean stance of assuming that someone who is woefully wrong on one issue is fundamentally wrong on all issues. That was the heart of Bush's approach to life: you are either with him or you are against him. It is an approach that will eventually turn everyone into your enemy.

I bet that there is at least one issue that you and your closest friend have a fundamental disagreement on. Does that mean she can no longer be your friend? Does that mean you can longer work with her on issues that matter to you both?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home