Wednesday, November 05, 2008

God Bless Markos

He is pissed that Prop 8 looks to be passing in California. But instead of giving into despondency or looking around for someone to blame, he sees this as an opportunity to gird our loins and try even harder next time.

I admit, I was feeling run down yesterday, crawling across the finish line after a long marathon. Losing the Prop 8 battle has re-energized me. I'm ready for a rematch in 2010.

Perhaps the best solution, and one mentioned before, is to give all couples civil union licenses. Gay or straight, it's irrelevant. Then leave the "marriage" thing up to individual churches. They can decide if they want to be bigots or not.

But I doubt that happens anytime soon. So it's more likely that we'll get to do this all over again in 2010, fighting and arguing and spending tens of millions of dollars over whether it's still okay, in this day and age, to discriminate against an entire class of people. If nothing else, there will be more of us, and less of them in two years:

...

That's why the Mormon Church and their bigoted allies are so desperate in this fight. Young people aren't afraid of the gays. They're on the losing side of history.

And I'm not just ready for this fight, I'm eager for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home