Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The first glimmer

I have foresworn voting for Republicans since 1996. The impeachment of Clinton was, for me, a final straw. It convinced me that, as a party, the GOP simply could not be trusted with their hands on the levers of power. The 2000 election and the reign of George W. Bush proved my point.

Since that time I have held firm in my position that I would not vote for a Republican, even if I liked them individually. There was to much risk, no matter the character of the person. The GOP as a whole needs to spend a few years in the wilderness, coming to terms with the actions of their leaders, before I would consider voting for them again.

The following video gives me hope that that day will someday come (background here).


Now, don't get me wrong. This is not a matter of gloating or saying, "I'll told you so." In fact, I denounce those Democrats who might look at this and call the people in these interviews "stupid" for having been "blind" for so long (I've already seen similar comments in response to this video). These people have obviously gone through a very trying experience and it hasn't been easy for them to make the choice they have made. The last thing we need is for Democrats to rub their faces in it.

Yes, I know a lot of Democrats are pissed off. I know they want to punish someone for the crap they have endured. But the last people they should attack are the first Republicans who say, "You may be right."

That's just stupid. It is hubris. And it is a sign that the Democrats are as susceptible to the disease that has infected the Republican party for the last 20-30 years. It is the disease that eventually will reduce the Democrats to as low a state as the Republicans are right now.

Don't catch it.

www.conservativesforchange.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home