Thursday, August 14, 2008

Losing your mom to the slime

This piece by Joe Klein represents some of the best work of his since his eye opening moment with John McCain. But I still have to wonder at this opening paragraph:
I heard about Jerome Corsi's book a few weeks ago from my mother, who said that her great fear--that Barack Obama has covert Islamic associations--had been confirmed by a new book. I told her not to worry, that many reputable people had looked into the matter and Obama was more likely to be spotted in Whole Foods than praying in a mosque. (Since my mother has never been to Whole Foods, so she didn't quite get my wry allusion.) "I hope so," she said, dubiously.
Now, I'm not a journalist. But if I were a journalist of national reputation, like Joe Klein, and my own mother were to say that she had bought into the whole "Obama is a Muslim" crap than I wouldn't be anywhere near as calm as Klein suggests. I would be deeply ashamed at my personal failure as a journalist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home