Friday, July 02, 2004

Supporting the President is nothing to be ashamed of. Bush on the other hand ...

Entertainment Weekly has a good interview with Michael Moore. You can find it here, but it requires a subscription. Here's the final Q&A:

EW Ever worry about your tone? I mean, this guy is the President.

MOORE I understand what you're saying. He is the President of the United States. Look, here's a good example of how I feel about this. A couple of weeks ago, out here on Broadway, a guy comes up to me and says, ''I'm a Navy surgeon. And I was on a ship off Iraq the night you made your speech at the Oscars and I was very angry at you. I remember yelling with the others at the screen. Now I just want to apologize. You were right. You were telling the truth.'' And I said, Listen, you don't owe me any apology. Apologize for what? That you believed your Commander-in-Chief? That you believed the President of the United States? Why should you feel bad? You should believe the President, because if we can't believe our President we're in deep trouble. You don't have to apologize for anything. In fact, I want to thank you for offering to risk your life to defend us. I think it would make the founding fathers proud to see the country still survives in their first belief, that's why it's their First Amendment, that somebody has the ability to express themselves and criticize the top guy. That's the country they created. That's the country that gave us Mark Twain, Will Rogers,

I commented on this a few weeks back when talking about strategies for dealing with people who voted for Bush in 2000. I took much the same tack that Moore takes here: those people have nothing to be ashamed of. They believed in what they voted for. It wasn't their fault that what they got wasn't what they promised.

But, if they vote for Bush again, then it will be their fault.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home