Tuesday, September 02, 2003

Losing vital support?

First Toby Keith, now Andrew Sullivan?
So far, I've been manfully trying to give the administration the benefit of the doubt, especially given the media's relentlessly negative coverage of Iraq. But they're beginning to lose me, for the same reasons they're losing Dan Drezner. They don't seem to grasp the absolutely vital necessity of success in Iraq. And I can't believe I'm writing that sentence.
People like Sullivan are belatedly coming to appreciate the horrible thought that has been keeping the rest of us up at night: that we are lead by a bunch of incompetents. Of course, earlier in the day, Sullivan posted the following:
SONTAG AWARD NOMINEE: "What brought me here is Dean - and George," said Karin Overbeck, an independent at her first political rally, in Spokane. "For the second time in my life, I'm ashamed of my nationality. I was born in Germany and I was ashamed; now I'm ashamed to be American." - from a New York Times report on Howard Dean's strongest supporters.
Sullivan still has a big wall down the middle of his brain that allows him to question the competency of the Bushies while still looking on the expression of similar criticism by others as somehow just plain nuts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home