Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Wishing for politicians who aren't politicians

My posts on this blog are often inspired by conversations I have in other online forums (mailing lists, newsgroups, other blogs, etc.). The following is a post that Ron Charset made to the Dean Networking mailing list.
Yes, I accept there is a certain amount of gamesmanship in politics, and the candidate has to get into office to be able to lead and make positive changes. And I know this campagne will become VERY nasty once bush & co. start feeling threatened with unemployment. I just have been disallusioned so many times with candidates (for many offices) who turn out to be much less than they campagned as. I really want to believe Mr Dean is the real thing.
This taps into a line of thought I've been developing for several years now: perhaps it is the unrealistic expectations that are part of what leads to disillusioned voters? I like Dean a lot. I want him to be President. I have sent him money and am organizing for him in the Portland area. But Dean is a politician and I never let myself forget that. People keep saying they want someone who ISN'T a politician to run for office. But the minute you decide to run for office, YOU BECOME A POLITICIAN. It is an unavoidable state of being. But that does not mean you have to become a bad politician and, so far, I think Dean is doing an excellent job of avoiding that. I fully expect Dean to compromise on some issues that I wish he wouldn't compromise on. But that is okay because I don't believe there is anyone out there who wouldn't do the same and a lot who would do even worse. Hell, if I were to run and win I would probably end up compromising on some things I would rather not compromise on. It's the nature of the biz. Isn't it an unrealistic hope that politicians won't act like politicians? I'm here to tell you that it ain't gonna happen. When Dean becomes President it is almost assured that he will do at least one thing that I will seriously disagree with. Is it worth surrendering our entire political system to the cockroaches just because this happens? I say no. I hope Ron and others will to. Update: Great quote (thanks Lance) "I hope that one day you have the privilege and thrill to vote for a candidate who precisely agrees with you on every important issue. I did. Once. However, by the time I ran for reelection I wasn't so sure of that anymore." -- Barney Frank That just about covers it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home