Friday, January 03, 2003

mbroglio over on Salon's Table Talk discovered an interesting bit of dialogue from our commander in chief:
BUSH: Yes, Holly?
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you, sir.
BUSH: I'm tired of these people calling you Heidi.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I appreciate you clarifying it.
BUSH: And I will correct them.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I appreciate that.
BUSH: Particularly on camera.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: If we do have to go to war...
BUSH: With which country?
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: With Iraq. And with our economy stagnating, what makes you confident...
BUSH: First of all, you know, I'm hopeful we won't have to go to war. And let's leave it at that.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: If we do, though.
BUSH: Until Saddam Hussein makes up his mind to disarm. See, it's his choice to make. So you need to ask him that question, not me.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: But the White House is drawing up plans to pay for the war, if we come to that. So why...?
BUSH: Let's leave it at "if" for awhile then, until it happens.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: OK. So you don't want to talk about whether our economy could sustain it, if that's a possibility?
BUSH: I thought that was a question I answered yesterday. So go back to that question, Heidi -- I mean Holly.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you, sir.
This snippet demonstrates a bit of Dubya's supposed ability to charm the pants of the journalists who cover him. The name game is one of his favorite, including his penchant for giving everyone around him a nickname. I personally would find this kind of exchange demeaning, but then I'm not a big-time journalist am I? The "With which country?" is an especially telling comment since it demonstrates Bush's immaturity when discussing the most serious of topics. It takes a certain level of mental sickness to find the topic of war humorous. mbroglio wondered whether something has been put in the water supply to make the American people think they are more safe and secure with this man as President. I have to agree with him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home