Friday, April 30, 2004

We are the problem, not the solution

I opposed the war in Iraq. But I have always argued since then that, despite my opposition, having invaded the country, we now have the lion's share of the responsibility for fixing the mess and thus it would be irresponsible of us to pull out before things are stabilized.

Stories like this have me reconsidering that position.

It is still our responsibility to clean up the mess we have made, but it may no longer be possible for the U.S. to do so while continuing to remain directly involved in the primary task of rebuilding the country. We may very well have become the single greatest impediment to Iraq achieving that democratic future that Bush talks so much about. It may be that the only way we can meet our obligations would be to bow out and let someone else take charge.

Who?

Hell if I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home