Thursday, January 15, 2004

Compare and contrast

This Jan. 8th People magazine interview of Howard and Judith Dean:

Howard: Judy sort of functions as my Person-in-the-Street. The best kind of advice she gives me is, 'You look like an idiot on television.' She wouldn't say it that way, but, 'You didn't do very well on television.' I'll never forget the first time we went to a speech that I was giving on a subject I knew not much about. And on the way home, I said, 'Well, how did you think I did?' and she said, 'Fair to poor, with the emphasis on poor,' which, I had to admit, was probably exactly right.

With this 2000 USA Today story about Laura Bush:

Things were not always so smooth. For much of her life, Laura Welch was ''so uninterested in politics.'' Even though they lived for a time at different ends of the same apartment complex, she turned down a couple of suggested dates with George W. Bush. Finally, she attended a back-yard barbecue thrown by mutual friends. He made her laugh. He was a great talker. She was a great listener. Both in their 30s, they married three months after their first date. There was no honeymoon. They hit his congressional campaign trail the day after the wedding.

After a few speeches, he asked her - coming up the driveway on the way home from one - how his delivery was going over. Terrible, said the forthright wife. George W. drove his Pontiac Bonneville right into the garage wall.

And they talk about Dean being the angry one?

(Thanks to Phoenix Woman for the idea)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home