Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Cheering Destruction

Sean-Paul points to a post by Josh at OxBlog in which Josh chides those who cheer at the prospect of the coming war, even though he supports it. I am always boggled at those who would cheer war like they would a sporting event. It is akin, for me, to those who cheer outside prisons whenever someone is executed. Regardless of what you may feel about the necessity of the action, there is no getting around the simple fact that a lot of people are going to die. You can support war. You can support the death penalty. But is it necessary to celebrate these things? I can remember my immediate feeling after 9/11 being one of profound sadness. Sadness that America would have to embark on a course that, even in its most optimistic terms, would result in the deaths of thousands of innocent people. I felt no anger towards the terrorists. Just sadness that people can be so twisted up inside that they would do something like that. I can't help but feel that people who glorify in destruction are all akin, whether they be terrorists are rah-rah-rah-drop-the-bombs-oooh-look-at-the-pretty-lights patriots. In closing, I leave you with this:
For Whom the Bell Tolls by John Donne No man is an island, Entire of itself. Each is a piece of the continent, A part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less. As well as if a promontory were. As well as if a manner of thine own Or of thine friend's were. Each man's death diminishes me, For I am involved in mankind. Therefore, send not to know For whom the bell tolls, It tolls for thee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home